Record a browser tab
If you want Screencastify to capture only the currently browser tab, you can choose a tab recording. When you record a browser tab, you'll also be able to use all of our annotation tools.
Our annotation tools (draw with pen, spotlight mouse, etc.) are available for both tab and desktop recordings.
Grant tab recording permissions
The first time you begin a tab recording, you'll be asked to allow Screencastify additional Chrome permissions. These permissions allow Screencastify to capture only the what's in your browser tab and enable the annotation tools. You'll only need to grant these permissions once.
Screencastify never monitors or stores your browsing data.
Start a tab recording
- Click the extension icon to open up the Recording Control Panel
- Select the "TAB" option
- To narrate over your recording with your microphone, check the box next to "Microphone" and choose your audio device. The sound bar next to the microphone icon will light up if it is successfully detecting sound. If it's not, click here to troubleshoot audio issues.
- To include audio that originates from within the browser tab (i.e. a video or song), check the box next to "Tab Audio".
- To embed your webcam into a corner of your recording, check the box next to "Embed Webcam" and select your camera. To change the corner in which the webcam appears, click the icon and select a corner.
- Click "Record Tab". A countdown will begin and then Screencastify will begin recording!
When Screencastify is recording, a red dot will appear in the extension's icon:
If you choose to embed your webcam, you can toggle the embedded webcam on and off during the recording using the webcam button in the toolbar.
When your tab recording begins, you'll see a black toolbar appear in the bottom left hand corner of your screen. These control your annotation tools. Click here to learn more about them.
End a tab recording
When you're finished recording, click the Screencastify extension icon and click END RECORDING. You'll then be taken to the Video Page, where you can edit and share your recording.
You can also end your recording by pressing Alt (or Option) + Shift + R.